Sunday, July 30, 2017

Thoughts on Russel Street - Learning on display

To me, the idea is about learning on display, feedback and communication. There are some really great examples of engaged classrooms that have lots of content and are regularly updated. There are also rooms where it seems that the conversation is a bit one sided and still others that have not been updated for quite some time. 

But the overarching goal of what they are doing, is really putting their students learning on display for the world and opening up a communication loop and feedback tool with their parents and others. Yes, I do think that seesaw is a good tool and can do some amazing things. Next year we may (actually we will) have other tools that do similar things or automate some process. But in the end it is really not about the technology but the content that matters. 

It is tough to blog, it is tough to keep up once started and yes, privacy issues do get in the way, but isn't it cool to see a school just put it out there. I give them a lot of credit for getting as far as they have have and embracing the technology in a positive way. There will be learning curves, stumbling blocks and even some failures, but aren't those the types of things that we want our students to experience as well?

I look at it as a jump into the internet pool. They are making a bit of splash and the ripples will also settle out in the end, but engaging their students with a broader world and showcasing there accomplishments, and some struggles along the way I think in the end will make their students much better learners and much better prepared for the larger world that they are a part of. 

3 comments:

  1. Dan, just to add to your last paragraph, I think this showcasing also teaches children to consider others when creating something. If I'd had the motivation of sharing my work with a community instead of just my mother (sorry, Mom) I may have worked a bit harder and taken more pride in what I was working on. Even kids want to know that their contributions matter. What a great opportunity for these kids to receive that kind of reinforcement. Just out of curiosity, what other tools are you all planning to work with? I'm always on the look out for new tech to try.

    Best,

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the same thing when I was perusing their site, Dan. There was some variance in the frequency of posts from different locations on their site. But overall I think they give a great picture of what frequent communication looks like. It made me realize that it's doable from a school's perspective. Sometimes just seeing it in action can be so enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to observe young students develop an interest for blogging as this can serve as a valuable tool to aggregate their work over a period of time and show an accurate picture of academic and personal growth. I found it interesting that each class had a unique name that showcased the ongoing work throughout the school year. Like others have indicated, privacy is definitely a concern, especially since they are minors. I am not privileged to the minor privacy laws in New Zealand, but in my experience, to publish student information, parents need to waive privacy rights of their child. Typically, in my 1200 student school, approximately 75 students do not waive their privacy rights and therefore cannot have their picture or work or name published. They can choose to have one or two or three of the before mentioned criteria, so it does become complicated. Regarding the Seesaw app, this is a great tool for documenting classroom announcements and student work, and is currently being used by several of my colleagues. I use Class Dojo because it has a behavior component as well as student blogging capabilities. One thing I noticed on the Seesaw blogs at the Russell Street School is an potential accessibility issue. The blogs are using an inline frame which I haven’t seen in the last 7 years in my web design experience and text doesn’t appear in full screen, at least on my Mac. This can become a frustrating visual experience because the box moves leaving a small window. The Seesaw app does not have these same visual obstructions and the design is flawlessly. Concluding, using Seesaw is a great tool for students and classrooms to showcase their work and class assignments. I would though exercise caution in the area of privacy. This begins by having a acceptable use and privacy policy in place at the school which has been agreed upon by all the stakeholders involved (parents, administration, students).

    ReplyDelete