Friday, July 28, 2017

Ryann Waldman - Russell Street School

They are using their blog similarly to how I would want to use my blog next year. First off, I noticed that they do have a Cyber Safety Policy that helps to keep their students safe online. I thought this was amazing and so great for both the students and the parents to be aware of. Second, I love how each room has their own blog so they are able to write about unique things to each class. The creativity of the names are also adorable! I also really enjoy how it is a place for the teacher to share the amazing work that the students are doing. It's giving me the idea to include a couple photos in each of my Friday blog posts I plan to be posting during the school year. The class list on the right side of the blog is also really cool. It is a quick and easy way for parents or students to be able to find the exact person they are looking for. I am not sure I would be able to accomplish this in my classes since I will have around 160 students but it could be fun to put a little caption under each photo I post so other people at least know who the people are. I also find it interesting why some of the blogs allow comments and other don't. I haven't decided yet if I will allow comments on my blog or not, but the ones I have seen here are pretty cute and fun. I like what they are doing and how they are using their blogs and how people can subscribe to their RSS feeds.

2 comments:

  1. Ryann,

    I tried posting a comment to see how they handle security. The comment came up as pending and that it originated from the blog. Pretty good.

    As you know, we had a pretty lengthy conversation about cyber policy on Dr. Barbour's blog yesterday. What would you do if a troll or angry parent started posting unnecessary comments. Would a cyber policy like this be sufficient? How would you ensure that everyone participating in a public blog would even care to adhere to it?

    One idea would be to make all participants actually join as a member, but in order to do so, they must accept the policy before being approved. This won't be ideal for driving random traffic and comments but it will keep your community safe from trolls, bullies, etc. Anyone who violates the policy will have their access revoked.

    This may be a bit unrealistic. I wonder how Russell Street School enforces theirs and how often they have to.

    Thanks for the post!

    ~Todd Koenig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe everyone in New Zealand is so happy (the weather? the accent? the hobbits?), and this school is so awesome, that they don't have to worry about trolls (just orcs, but those were driven out when they finished filming LOTR there)

    ReplyDelete