Saturday, July 29, 2017

Rebecca Davis RSS Post

My impressions of the Russell Street School Page:

  • Overall, the page was visually appealing and seemed to be full of information. I explored several areas out of curiosity before digging into the student blogs. I liked the staff profiles and the information available to parents was neatly organized and easy to access.
  • Looking at the blogs:
    • The first two I looked at were fun, but I noticed that they had not been posted on since 2016. Digging a little deeper, it appeared that they were blogs of primary grade level classrooms (maybe K or 1). I looked at several others and it seemed as the ages of the students went up the frequency of posts went up as well. I don't think that is a coincidence.
    • The upper grade blogs were full of student comments, videos, and thoughts. What a great way to document learning not only for parents, but for themselves to look back on. I would think that there could be some great opportunity for self/class reflection as the school year (term) goes on.
    • As a classroom teacher (5th grade) I have a class blog that I write on. I use ClassDojo which has a photo sharing function. I try my best to keep it all up to date, but if you look at my history you will undoubtedly notice that there seem to be a lot more posts in September and October than the rest of the year. I have offered up the opportunity for kids to write on the blog, but the logistics of it have not quite worked out. This page inspired me to begin my year with a new mindset where the students and I are equally responsible for documenting our learning.  

2 comments:

  1. I am the same way with posting, super committed August through October then I am posting bi-weekly and then monthly. One of my colleagues gave me an idea last year, she sets a google reminder each week to go off during her prep period that reminds her to post a blog entry. This is definitely something I am going to try starting this school year in order to be more consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Kendal! I live and die by my Google calendar. I will definitely try that out this year!

    ReplyDelete